Friday, February 10, 2006

Breathe In, Breathe Out

I have this student that has such incredible mood swings, she's worse than a woman going through a bad case of menopause. Yes, seriously. She can be in such a good mood one minute and sink into really awful mood the next minute...and she's only 11.

I've always found it hard to manage the so-called fairer sex. I find them to be very volatile and extreme care must be taken when handling them at all times. Trust me, they are more volatile that the chemicals that I use ever so frequently in my labs! At least with chemicals, all I need to do is follow procedure and I know all will be fine. As for them women, you could do the same thing over and over again but get a different reaction every single time.

This girl really got on my nerves a few days back. I spent the whole two hours doing just a small part of fractions with her and she just didn't want to put in effort to figure out the solution. It's not like she doesn't know how to solve the problems, it's just she wasn't in the mood to think! Can you imagine how frustrating it is when you are giving her the same type of problems and she can do it one time and not the other just because she's just not in the mood to think? She can even give you that blank emotion-less face!

I forgot to mention that she can be a real pain in the ass sometimes due to her having an attitude problem. The situation is not helped by the parents conceeding that the child is slow or that she has decided to turn off her brain or she's tired and what-nots! I do not agree when parents sort of condemn their kids in front of them. I feel that it will only demoralise them further or even worse, encourage them to continue being like that since you have accepted them to be so. I definitely do not agree when parents give in to their kids' weaknesses and saying things like they're tired or slow or something like that. I feel you are only encouraging them to remain stagnant by acknowledging but not doing something about it positively.

She's probably very fortunate as I'm VERY zen now compared to let's say, ten years back. I'm learnt to keep my temper at bay but probably at the expense of me developing peptic ulcers. Things still do get to me but not as easily as before. Due to this change in me, I've realised that I've lost that competitive edge in me and other traits that I used to possess that made me succeed ever so often. I'm not sure yet if it's a fair trade-off but friends have told me although they like the new zen me, they hate seeing me lose my competitive edge and those traits that had worked so flawlessly for me since that's the best way they remember me.

I guess I just have to work on finding the right balance. For the meantime, more breathing exercises...breathe in, breathe out...breathe in, breathe out...




No comments:

Post a Comment