Monday, July 04, 2005

O Draconian Devil, Oh Lame Saint

A few days back, I finished reading the highly acclaimed novel by Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code, a novel I've wanted to read for a very long time but didn't manage to do so until recently but thanks to my friend (and her friend), my brains received the best antidote it needed. The book is marvellous, very well written, intriguing plot, just couldn't put it down! Well, I was also motivated to finish the novel as soon as possible so I can return it (I'm not used to borrowing stuff for too long) but solving the mystery was definitely the driving force that kept me up late at night. For those who have not read the book, you can preview the first few chapters here. If you have read it and enjoyed the book, you would probably enjoy the challenges they prepared online - Web Quest and Uncover The Code. Try them out, some are harder to figure out compared to the ones in the book. Well, I don't want to brag...but I did figure out the clues in the book before getting to the answers. :P Maybe it has to do with me liking codes a lot and I learned many codes when I was young. I'm a little rusty now, though. You might get stuck when you play the Web Quest (it was actually a real competition) because you would have to call a US telephone number. I've managed to overcome that obstable though, so I did complete them both.

The book is so well written, it can be so easily adapted into a movie. The scripwriter wouldn't need to do much! Everything is already in the book! Anyway, plans are already underway to make it into a movie which will be premiering worldwide on the 19th of May 2006 staring Tom Hanks (as Robert Langdon, I presume). Malaysians can catch it on the 18th of May 2006, though. You can visit the official movie site here. Well, the reason I was so eager to get hold of the book is because I heard the news that it was going to be made into a movie and I didn't want to spoil the reading experience which everyone said 'is to die for' and I agree with that statement 100%! However, the producers of the movie claims that we will be blown away by the movie regardless of how many times we've read the novel and how we perceive the story to be like. Hmm...this I got to see. Anyway, if you've not read it, please do. You won't regret it!

(pictures from DanBrown.com and Sony Pictures)




11 comments:

  1. good book right? i am addicted. i tried the challenges earlier too. took me some time, i got some of them correct but i cheated on some too...heheheh..!
    anyways, i have the other book with me 'angels & demons' my sis bought it...i read first, later lend u if u want...hehehhe...after that we read aquaculture together...ok? :)
    ~AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this book and find it very intriguing. Needless to say I am going to buy all the other books by Dan Brown. I am looking forward to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read it. No biggie. Ending was a disappointment, let-down. Heard Dan Brown's other books better. Maybe just overrated hype on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've read the prequel to this book, angels & demons but didn't like it. da vinci code was way better. have not read digital fortress or deception point but plan to do so soon. can't wait for the movie though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dunno. If you've read any of Brown's other works, he's not really an author, he writes screenplays. Your comment about how the movie screenwriter wouldn't have to do anything is usually a red flag that the book is not very good. Movies are supposed to be separate experiences from reading. Digital Fortress is about the same book as Da Vinci Code. All his stuff is enjoyable, but I certainly wouldn't call it great writing.

    As we've seen, the movie flopped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, i've read his other works but didn't enjoy them as much as the da vinci code. the concept is quite similar though.

    surprisingly, i found the movie not that bad! not as intriguing as reading the book but both complements each other quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O DRACONIAN DEVIL O LAME SAINT can any one please decode this....?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leonardo Da Vinci - The Mona Lisa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, but I think da vinci code is the best. the concept is quite similar though.

    Jen
    S&D Book Publishers

    ReplyDelete