Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Another Day at the Hospital

Woke up at 5am again today. Got myself ready and made a trip to campus and do some stuff at the lab and reading room. It turns out my supervisor brought back gifts from the latest conference he attended in Bali. I chose the bushman's hat. I already had too many caps and keychains. The tie was just not my taste.

Travelled all the way to the hospital using the Jelutong Expressway...I expected Jalan Masjid Negeri would had experienced a bad traffic jam with so many schools located along the road. From then onwards, it was just routine. Grandma getting better but still on fluids. Probably soft foods from tomorrow. Was asked to try walking but she was still groggy, I guess from the morphine, when she tried in the morning. However, she did walk with assistance in the evening but was in a lot of pain after that.

There were two new 'tenants' in that ward today. A young girl and a young lady. Didn't know what the girl was in for but the lady had abdominal pain. The Indonesian lady opposite my grandma's bed had not returned from ICU yet. She went in for surgery (removal of her uterus) at 5pm the day before and the surgery was expected to take 6 hours. Ever since after that, she has been in the ICU. Hope all is well.

Oh yeah....there's this old lady in this ward which lights up the room with her comical character. She's the old conservative type and practically anything that comes out of her mouth would make everyone in the room laugh, sometimes probably due to her naviety....well, maybe not laugh out loud but a snicker or smile (and laughing inside). She was quite difficult to handle and fortunately, she is in good hands. The person caring for her was a patient lady and was able to persuade her in many ways. Sigh....I can't go into details or it will take up too long a time to write it all out but what I can say is that her character lights up the room from time to time. Apart from my mp3's, work I brought to do and materials I brought to read, that kept my day going. Tomorrow I'll be taking a rest from the hospital but I'll have to go to my lab. I guess that's not counted as rest! So, time for me to rest now... :)




No comments:

Post a Comment