Monday, May 16, 2005

A Day at the Hospital

Phew! What a day indeed! Woke up at 5am and got myself ready to go to the hospital. The occasion? My grandma was about to get her swollen, infected gallbladder removed (sorry for the grossly detailed description...). Had an MRI scan at 8am, talked a bit with the doctor and he told me the procedure was something-scopy, (I've heard of many other -scopies, just not that one...) and open surgery was the last option. He was confident open surgery wasn't necessary at all.

She was taken to the OT slightly before 10am and I had to wait for 2 hours before I got any news on her procedure. Turns out, open surgery was necessary after the scopy thingy didn't work out. I had the 'honour' to see the removed gallbladder. It wasn't really a pretty sight, trust me. It was the size of about an adult's palm when opened up. According to the doctor, a normal gallbladder would measure just half of that size. Now, that's swollen!

Had to wait another 2 hours for her to recover in, yup...you guessed it...the recovery room before she was transfered back to the ward at around 2pm. She was still moaning from the pain since after surgery. Oh yeah, there was this nurse that told me my grandma was on painkillers when I informed her about my grandma's moaning in the recovery room. Guess what, that wasn't true! I found out that the painkillers were just administered at 3pm at the ward, none at the recovery room! Ooooh...she has a pretty face but she really has to change her attitude (as I also found out from my mom over dinner!). I guess I wasn't the only person who felt she had an attitude problem. Anyway, the morphine really helped and she was feeling much better after that.

Well, the morphine was also to help her get the rest she need to recovery and heal. Fortunately (or unfortunately...depends on how you see it), relatives came pouring in. We felt grateful, of course but I could see she didn't really get the rest she should be getting. Well, the rest of the day was routine...so fast-forward to just an hour ago, I finally reached back home. Had earlier planned to drop by my lab and maybe do some lipid extraction but my exhaustion just got the better of me. Well, that's all my brain can remember for now. Tomorrow's another day...

P/S Thanks to all who have conveyed their well wishes. Really appreciate it.




1 comment:

  1. wow...looks like u had a busy day.
    i'll remember your grandma in my prayers, hope she recovers soon. cheers.
    ~AJ

    ReplyDelete