Saturday, May 14, 2005

I was in an accident....

...ALMOST! Left home for my lab early this morning (before 7am) and took the Yeap Chor Ee Road to USM. It was raining, something more than a drizzle and I was cruising at a constant speed of 60-70 kmph on the road, as usual. I saw this very old pakcik riding his bike slowly at the side of the road. I took precaution by slowing down a bit. Close to the end of the school, suddenly this pakcik cut into my lane just right in front of me with an intention to go to the opposite side of the road! Hell, I slammed on my brakes and my car skidded on the wet road. I tried hitting my brakes again and again while trying to gain control of my car but the tyres still had no grip and kept moving forward. The pakcik swerving left and right didn't help in the situation either! I honked my horn repeatedly hoping the pakcik will be smart enough to accelerate ahead instead of stopping! The brakes kept schreeching and probably that and the persistent honking forced the pakcik to accelerate and move away from my car. Finally, my car stopped, at least 50m from the time I starting braking. My car was stationary in the middle of the road for about 10 seconds. Fortunately, there weren't any cars around (behind/opposite road/etc.) and I looked at the pakcik who had stopped his bike at the side of the road by now. He looks as much shaken from the incident as I was. He's one lucky man, probably his time wasn't up yet. I was so sure my car was about to hit his bike then. Just imagine if I had not slowed down initially as a precaution. I slammed the brakes so hard, my leg still hurts hours after the incident. This incident just reinforces my belief that old people should be kept away from the roads after a certain age. As radical or controversial as this may sound, not only can it ensure the safely of the old folks themselves, it can make the roads a safer place for other motorists too. This is not my first incident with old folks behind wheels that were not able to make the right judgements. I was able to avoid any unfortunate incidents at each of those occasions. Will I be so lucky the next time?

P/S No, uphoryx....I was not taking photos while driving at that time! :P




1 comment:

  1. u sure? ha ha... ok i won't bully u about this anymore.... :)
    can't promise, but i'll try...
    ~uphoRyx

    ReplyDelete