Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Naming Hurricanes

I've not blogged anything about the Hurricane Katrina tragedy at New Orleans, USA so far and I think it's a bit too late for me to do so since the situation is getting better now although there's still a lot of work to be done to restore order. So, I've decided to write about an issue that many have asked in the wake of the tragedy. Why is it called Hurricane Katrina? Did someone by the name of Katrina discover the hurricane? I've read about the naming of hurricanes/tropical storms when I was small and recently I've found an article that could really help you understand how hurricanes are named. You can also look at some satellite pictures of the affected areas using Google Maps. If that's not enough for you, you could use Google Earth instead.

The next tropical storm was suppose to be named Lee (*ahem*) but it wasn't strong enough to be classified as a hurricane. At the moment, it looks like tropical storm Ophelia will wreak havoc in Florida.




2 comments:

  1. is there a hurricane named after me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope...you are not famous enough... *ahem* :)

    ReplyDelete